Summer Health Professions Education Program
The LDsports 开户 (SHPEP) is a free, six-week summer academic
enrichment program for rising sophomore and junior students in college whom are interested in health professions careers.
Students who participate in SHPEP gain the skills and experience needed for success in the health professions by:
- Deepening their understanding of the basic sciences and quantitative topics.
- Developing study skills and practicing methods of individual and group learning.
- Participating in small-group clinical rotations and full-group clinician seminars.
- Exploring careers in medicine, dentistry and other health professions.
- Attending financial planning workshops and health policy seminars.
Formerly known as the Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP), SHPEP expanded in 2016 to include a broader array of health professions. SHPEP is a collaboration between ADEA and the
, and is funded by the
A 2015 found
that SMDEP dental scholars are roughly three times as likely to apply to dental school as their peers in a comparison group, and are nearly twice as likely to be accepted.